Holiday gift for my Wife? by donR revised December 5 2015
I’ve read many lists about “perfect gifts for the holidays” and nowhere is a meat grinder mentioned. Go figure! Maybe that’s not a safe idea. Would a new vacuum cleaner be better? The real question is “Are kitchen gadgets appropriate gifts for spouses?” This is where you get to show that you really know your spouse. Would he/she like and use a new kitchen tool? Be sure you are choosing a gift they would appreciate; not just one you wish they wanted and would use.
Thinking back over the years, my folks have given us some holiday kitchen gifts that were real time-savers and well appreciated. So, here are some electric kitchen gift ideas that may help your children when they are out on their own. A gift for your spouse? You know best.
Most young adults have their toaster and coffee maker so here are some other gift ideas for their kitchen that they may not buy for themselves.
- Removable hot water pitcher for tea lovers. Then visit a tea, spice and herb store for a few jars of bulk herbal teas. They also have disposable tea bags and tea infusers for stocking-stuffers.
- A flat electric griddle is a godsend for young families. They can cook hotcakes, eggs, meat and potatoes at the same time. Include a package of honey wheat pancake mix and apple butter so they can start cooking right away.
- Steamer for rice and vegetables. These are inexpensive and allow you to make perfectly moist rice every time. You can watch veggies through the clear container and see when they are “crisp-tender.” Include a box of rice pilaf or Spanish rice for their first trial.
- A blender is great for making smoothies (and they can hide veggies in the mixture) for an alternative to energy drinks and soda. Include a basket of mixed fruit so they can experiment right away.
- A slow cooker with a timer. The 4.5-6 qt. is fine for a small family or 2-3 qt for a couple. Include the Slow Cooker Bible for “Tips N Tricks” and a jar of “Better Than Bullion” soup base and see how easy it is to make soup in a slow cooker.
Other useful electric gadgets include: Immersion blender, mixer, roaster, George Foreman Grill, wok and juicer.
Caution: If storage is a problem, think about where they can store it before buying it. Avoid storing them on high shelves because they are awkward to handle.