Ke-Babs (kabobs, k’bobs, Shish-K-Bobs) are defined loosely as marinated meat on sticks which are cooked on a grill. But, they are now commonly made with assorted meat, fish, vegetables and fruit. They can be grilled, baked, broiled and cooked on a barbeque.Have fun making these and let the kids help. Use imagination. Here is a simple recipe that uses home-made teriyaki sauce* in a marinade.
1. Make a marinade sauce for the meat and vegetables: In a bowl, combine 1/2 C olive oil, 1/2 C teriyake sauce*, 1/2 t oregano, parsley, garlic powder and thyme.
2. If using meat or poultry, cut it into 1 1/2″ cubes.
3. Place meat in a glass bowl and add marinade to cover. Refrigerate for 8 hours.
3. Cut vegetables and fruit into 1 1/2″ cubes
4. Place meat, vegetables and fruit on water-soaked skewers by using the pointed end to poke a hole and push the ingredient through . Alternate food types to look attractive.
5. Heat the grill or barbeque. Place the kabobs on the hot grill and cook for 3-4 minutes until the meats reaches 165 degrees and veggies are crisp-tender. Turn often.
Possible meat and veggies: pork , lamb and beef steaks, chicken breast, tofu, shrimp, summer squash, tomatoes, bell pepper, sweet onion, mushroom, pineapple, pear, apple and kiwi.
Here is a site with 28 K bob recipes: http://www.cooks.com
*Make-it-yourself teriyaki sauce:
Ingredients: 1./2 C shoyu (soy sauce)
1 ½ C water 2 T minced ginger
¼ C packed brown sugar 2 minced garlic cl
3 T cornstarch 1/3 C cool water
1 Combine the first 5 ingredients in a Saucepan.
2. Bring to a slow boil while stirring.
3. In a cup, dissolve cornstarch in water and
4. add it to the sauce. Continue stirring until sauce thickens.
5. Cool and refrigerate in a covered glass jar.