Crock Pots®, or slow cookers, offer a simple way to prepare soup.
- You can toss ingredients into the cooker, set it and go to work.
- Slow cooking brings out the flavor of many herbs and spices.
- Tough meats can be tenderized when slow cooked.
we are presenting the following recipe for Popeye Soup to clients at the Ferndale Food Bank. It’s fun to make and so easy to prepare. Afterwards, participants take ingredients home to make it for their families.
- 2 or 3 boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 c chicken broth
- 1 1/2 c celery
- 1 can(s) lima beans
- 1 can(s) cannelloni beans
- 1 lb pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and liquid squeezed out
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 c white rice, uncooked (brown or wild rice for a healthier dish)
- 1 pinch dill, salt and pepper
- 2 clove garlic, diced
- Combine all ingredients in crock pot and cook on high for 6 hours.
- Add spinach the last hour of cooking time.
- Serve with a thick crusty bread as a meal