Hydration is the process that provides water to our bodies and water is the most important nutrient in our bodies! I bet you never thought of water as a nutrient. To most people’s surprise it the nutrient we are all most lacking.
We don’t hydrate just when drinking water, some water can be provided with other beverages and from the foods we eat. None the less, consuming enough water daily is essential to our overall health. Water has several roles in the body, from flushing toxins, to transporting nutrients, maintaining skin moisture and regulating body temperature.
There is a simple equation we can all follow to make sure we are drinking enough water!
To figure out how much water is right for you, just take your own body weight, and divided it by 2. From there divide that number by 8 to figure out how many 8 ounce glasses you should be drinking in a day! It also important to remember we should never exceed 1 gallon of water in our daily consumption.
*Some fun facts why drinking all this water is so important!
- Water makes up about %60 of our body mass.
- We can survive 8 weeks without food, but only days without water.
- Our bodies can only produce %8 of our daily need, we must drink the rest.
- Our bodies lose about 2 to 3 liters of water a day.
- Beverages like, coffee, black tea, alcohol, fruit juices, soda are all dehydrating. (this does not mean to not enjoy these beverages, but moderation is beneficial to hydration)
- Dehydration can be a factor in many surprisingly unpleasant conditions like, fatigue, headaches, cramps, cravings, and even heartburn.
- Water depends on electrolytes for proper absorption.
*For More Reference:
*Please remember this page is purely informational, if you have any current dietary restrictions please remember to follow all protocols in place by your physician.