by donR 5/1/20l5
Serve soft or hard tacos one night then create this simple, nutritious, one skillet meal on the second day. Cook once for several meals to save time, energy and avoid a trip to the grocer.
Nutritious? This meal was made with whole foods except the dab of whipped cream and Better Than Bouillon® flavoring. Read More….
I know…another “one skillet meal!” But this one was sooo good and easy on the pocket-book I had to share how we assembled it. There really is no recipe needed because we simply threw ingredients together to make the two dinners. But. if you are curious, the one-skillet recipe is below.
First, we cleaned out fridge and found food that needed cooking right away. Then we added ingredients from the pantry to complete the meals including:
- Cabbage, lettuce, carrots, spinach, tomatoes and miniature pattypan summer squash
- Sour cream, grated cheese, and whipped cream
- Blue berries and peaches
- 3/4# lean hamburger, 1# codfish
- tortillas, cooked rice, and re-fried beans
Day one: Salad with ranch dressing, hamburger and fish soft burritos and hard tacos loaded with veggies, re-fried beans and dairy, plus peaches and steamed miniature patty squash.
Day two: One-skillet hamburger & squash entree, salad with spinach greens, blueberries n whipped cream and herb tea.
- 1 med onion diced
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 3 C cooked & diced summer squash (or mixed vegetables)
- 1 C chopped bell peppers
- 1/2 C chopped celery
- 1 C cooked ground beef (drained)
- 1 C cooked rice
- 1T better than Bouillon
- 1/2 C water
- Salt, pepper & garlic to taste
- 1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- 1. Add onions and saute them until translucent
- 3. Dissolve bouillon in hot water
- 4 Add all ingredients to skillet
- 4. Continue stirring until mixture is heated to 160 degrees,
- If using raw veggies, blanch them first or saute them with the onions