Pasta is a popular choice for Springtime meals; light, spicy, easy to prepare and nutritious if you choose healthier ingredients. We described how to prepare Perfect Pasta in our basic cooking series and today I had a craving for a pasta dinner. But, to take advantage of the “Hot Sheet Sale” at Cash & Carry, I purchased a 5# bag of fresh Yakisoba noodles ($3.24) along with a 5# bag of shredded cabbage ($2.98), 25# zucchini squash ($14.49) and 14# pk of pork shoulder cushions ($1.15 per pound).
I know…$36.81 is more than the “$10 Meal” in the title but let me share a few of the many meals that can be prepared with these ingredients…see the rest of the story.
First of all, “pasta” is cooked the same as noodles but is usually made from semolina flour. There are several different ingredients used in Asian noodles and it makes a difference whether you buy Soba, Udon, Rice or other types. For that story visit The Kitchen dot com but come back for the $10 Meal.
How to divide the ingredients for several meals:
- Braise (for pulled pork) or Roast (for slicing) one or more of the pork cushions and freeze the rest. There will be about 6 pieces in the bag.
- Divide the coleslaw into 1/2 to 1 lb packages to be used for oriental salad, cabbage soup, taco filling, lettuce wraps, coleslaw, sauerkraut or divided with friends.
- reserve 3 or 4 zucchini squash for the Yakisoba meal and a salad on day 2. The rest can be cut into chunks to be blanched and frozen, divided with friends, or roasted for snacks.
- For this meal, the cost is approximately $9.45 when the cost for stir-fry veggies, peaches, sesame seeds and ingredients above are added together.
The $10 meal for 6 people: Here are the entrees and sides that we like but feel free to use other recipes to prepare the meal utilizing the inexpensive ingredients.
- Gather the family together to choose who will prepare noodles, stir fry veggies, prepare sweet ‘n sour pork, make Oriental cabbage salad, cook egg-drop soup, set table and plan a conversation prompt.
- 2# fresh Yakisoba noodles
- 8C water with a pinch of salt
- 2T high heat vegetable oil (canola, clear olive, peanut)
- 1/2 chopped onion or scallions
- garlic to taste
- 1 C chopped zuchinni
- 1# mixed stir fry veggies (hot rinsed and shaken dry if frozen)
- 4T hoisen sauce or sweetened water
- Chines 5 spice and seeds to taste
- 1 Bring water salt and noodles to a rolling boil, reduce heat and cover for a couple of minutes until al dente.
- 2. Lightly saute onions and garlic in hot oil
- 3. Stir-fry the veggies until they brighten their color (crisp-tender)
- 4 . drain noodles and add to the veggies and onions
- 5 add sauce and spices and seeds serve immediately
- Use similar vegetables so they cook about the same time like
- soft: zucchini, tomatoes, spinach
- serve immediately or veggies will steam more and soften