$10 meal: Baked Chicken and Steamed Veggies by Don R
Watch for sales and stock up. Chicken thighs were $.98 per lb at Fred Meyer and assorted frozen veggies are available anytime for $1 per lb package at The Dollar Store. When put together with a green salad and day-old bread you can feed a family for under ten dollars. To save time, the thighs can be slow cooked but we chose baked to get a nicely browned meat. Steamed squash, peas ‘n corn, and cauliflower fill half the plate. the chicken recipe follows but first, here is the cost break down.
- 3 lbs chicken thighs (Value pack for 2 meals) $3
- 3 packs veggies split for 2 meals $1.50
- Salad mix (in 5lb bags for 5 meals) $1.30
- mushrooms, green onions . & peppers for salad. $2
- 1 load French bread d/old $1.25
- Planned-over soup $ 0.00
1 or 2 thighs are ample portions because the meal has so many healthy side dishes.
- 3 lbs chicken thighs
- 3 T olive oil
- Poultry rub
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Rinse chickens in cold water and pat dry woth paper towel.
- Rub thighs with olive oil
- Rub poultry seasoning over the oil
- Spread remaining oil in roasting pan
- Place thighs on the roasting pan and place on middle rack of the oven.
- When thighs are nicely browned, reduce heat to 325 degrees
- Continue cooking until inner thigh reaches 170 degrees with a meat thermometer
- Remove from oven,, cover with a loose foil "tent and let rest 10 min before serving
- Substitute salt and pepper for poultry seasoning